Introduction of the Project
――NOE (Network Of Excellence) Project ――
In the 2000s, the COE (“Center of Excellence,” referring to centers that attract excellent professionals in cutting-edge facilities) and related programs were promoted.
The Institute of Statistical Mathematics (ISM) activated the NOE (Network Of Excellence) Project in 2010, which seeks to transcend COE. The goal of establishing NOEs is to promote advanced studies in individual and interdisciplinary fields, to integrate research, and to create new research fields by connecting professionals and facilities.
▲＊ Click to jump to see “History of the NOE Project”
Aims and goals
- ■ To promote more active research collaborations between statistical mathematics researchers and researchers in other fields
- ■ To develop and expand research in both statistical mathematics and other research fields
- ■ To build and deploy a hub for interdisciplinary knowledge transfer centered on ISM
- ■ To promote and implement interdisciplinary research, including literary fusion and creation of new academic fields
- ■ To establish a network-type style of cooperative research
Outline of the project
To solve the complex problems of modern society, it is essential to make use of large-scale data and merge research from multiple fields. It is necessary to establish trans-disciplinary NOEs focused on statistical mathematics, a fast-emerging tool for using large-scale data. As mentioned before, ISM has promoted the NOE (Network Of Excellence) Project since 2010.
This project is attracting strong support from each community. The Managing Committee of the NOE decides the guidelines of the project for unified management. Advice is also taken from the members of the Advisory Board of the NOE Project, which is made up of experts from the industrial, academic, and government sectors.
ISM is promoting the establishment of NOEs and related research activities in seven areas: Risk Research, Next-Generation Simulation, Survey Science, Statistical Machine Learning, Data Science for Creative Design and Manufacturing, Medical Health Data Science, and Data Science for Resource-Environment Management.
ISM is continuously expanding and developing this NOE project with the aim of establishing new scientific methodologies (“the fourth paradigm; data science”), creating new research disciplines, and developing a new style of joint research. Hence, ISM plans for the NOEs to become broader, not only in statistical mathematics but also in data science.
Since 2016, ISM has reorganized NOEs and NOE-type research centers based on cooperation with the Research Organization of Information and Systems, ISM’s parent organization, and in response to social conditions and community needs. ISM is always considering better ways to promote and develop research activities.
- ■ As an Inter-University Research Institute, ISM acts as a network base or hub that reflects the demands of universities in Japan.
- ■ ISM is establishing NOEs in the fields of Risk Research, Next-Generation Simulation, Survey Science, Statistical Machine Learning, Data Science for Creative Design and Manufacturing, Medical and Health Data Science, and Data Science for Resource-Environment Management.
- ■ In each NOE research domain, the faculty members of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics play a central role in promoting joint research and joint research meetings in collaboration with industry–government–academia research institutes in Japan and overseas.
- ■ The NOE-type research centers and groups of the ISM serve as the core and hub functions of NOE in each research field, and promote and implement interdisciplinary research and the creation of new academic fields.
- ■ ISM provides supercomputers and other facilities for joint use to promote each type of research.
Please see the Supercomputer systems in ISM (click and open the new window).
Please see the library in ISM (click and open the new window).
- ■ ISM is also promoting a project that the Joint Support-Center for Data Science Research of ROIS has entrusted to it.
- ■ ISM is trying to develop each research domain and to promote integrated research using a new network style for research collaboration, with strong support from each community.
Outline Diagram of the NOE Project
(As of February, 2022) ＊ Click to enlargeOutline Diagram of the NOE Project
(As of February, 2022)
Diagrams the NOE Project in ISM
＊ Click to jump to see “Related Organization”Diagrams
the NOE Project in ISM
Please also refer to pp.12-13, “Outline of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 2021-2022” for the introduction of the NOE Project