Introduction of the Project
――NOE (Network Of Excellence) Project ――
The Institute of Statistical Mathematics (ISM) has promoted the NOE (Network Of Excellence) Project since 2010.
ISM aims to build a framework for advancing strategic research, to new scientific methodology (the “fourth paradigm”), and to pursue a new approach to collaborative research system by forming the research network in each field.
Aims and goals
- ■ To promote more active research collaboration between statistical mathematics researchers and researchers in other fields
- ■ To develop and expand research both in statistical mathematics and other research fields
- ■ To makes it possible to connect various research fields and to expand collaborative researches through hubs from ISM, as the core organization, serves
- ■ To promote integration research and to create new study fields
- ■To establish the new style, the network-type, of the corporative research
Outline of the project
It is necessary to use the large scale data and integrated research for the solution of the complicate problem in modern society.
The NOE (Network Of Excellence) has been requested from each community, which ISM serves as hubs because the research field of statistical mathematics can go across the various research fields. Therefore, as one of the Inter-University Research Institutes, ISM has promoted the NOE Project since 2010.
The experts of each domain from industry, government and academy are assigned as members of the Advisory Board of the project. With the advice from the Advisory Board, the managing committee of the NOE Project decides how to promote it uniformly.
ISM reconsidered the research structure and reorganized the NOE-type centers in 2016-2018. With continuous consideration regarding the cooperative relationship with the Research Organization of Information and System (ROIS), the parent organization of ISM, social conditions and requests from each community, and ISM promote the NOE Project continuously to develop research activities rapidly and extensively.
- ■ISM, one of the inter-university research institute, has the role to serve as hubs which all universities in Japan requests
- ■ISM are forming NOEs (Network Of Excellence) in the fields of Risk Research, Next-Generation Simulation, Survey Science, Statistical Machine Learning, Data Science for Creative Design and Manufacturing and Medical and Health Data Science.
- ■Research staff of ISM who are assigned in each NOE domain promote research collaboration with researchers who belong to the domestic or foreign industry, government, academia organizations.
- ■ The NOE-type research centers and group in ISM have the role of core in each NOE domain. They serve as hubs to promote integration research and to create new study fields.
- ■ISM provides supercomputers and other facilities for joint use to promote each research.
Please see the Supercomputer systems in ISM(click and open the new window).
Please see the library in ISM(click and open the new window).
- ■ISM is also promoting the project which the Joint Support-Center for Data Science Research of ROIS has entrusted to ISM.
- ■ISM is trying to develop each research domain and to promote integrated research using new network style for research collaboration with strong support from each community.
Relationship Diagram of the NOE Project
(As of March, 2018) ＊ Click to enlargeRelationship Diagram of the NOE Project
(As of July, 2017)
Diagrams the NOE Project in ISM
＊ Click to jump to see “Related Organization”Diagrams
the NOE Project in ISM
Please also refer to pp.14-15, “Outline of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 2018-2019” for the introduction of the NOE Project