Historically, statistical science has developed in response to the need for statistical ideas and methods to be exploited in other fields of science and industry. Therefore the Institute has established a systematic way to promote cross-disciplinary research projects either at a domestic or an international scale (see the previous chapter).
The Institute has also pushed forward research collaboration with a wide variety of foreign institutions including universities and governmental agencies.
Since 1988, the Institute has entered into special relationship with the following institutes to conduct programs on academic exchange and facilitate joint research projects;
The Institute has also been active in organizing international conferences and workshops. In 2003-2004, 13 international symposia were held under the auspices of the Institute;
- The U.S. Bureau of Census, U.S.A., 1988-
- The Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, The Netherlands, 1989-
- The Cuban Neuroscience Center, Cuba, 1999-2004
- Statistical Research Associates Ltd., New Zealand, 2001-2006
- Statistical Research Center for Complex System, Seoul National University, Korea, 2002-
- Institute for Statistics and Econometrics, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany, 2004-.
- Symposium on advanced use of information related to statistical science, February 3-4, 2003
- ISM Symposium: Statistics, Combinatorics and Geometry, March 20-22, 2003
- ISM Symposium: Evaluating the Current Situation on Internet Surveys in Japan -How do we consider the evaluation and standardization as a survey methodology?-, March 25-26, 2003
- ISM Symposium: A Bridge between Environmental and Statistical Sciences, September 10, 2003
- International Conference: Science Modelling, The 30th Anniversary of the Information Criterion(AIC), December 14-17, 2003
- Symposium on advanced use of information related to statistical science, January 22-24, 2004
- ISM Symposium: A Bridge between Environmental and Statistical Sciences, September 15, 2004
- Workshop on Statistical Genetics, November 9, 2004
- Seminar on Stochastic Models and Discrete Geometry, Probabilistic Analysis of Algorithms, November 16-17, 2004
- Workshop on Prediction for marine resources, November 19, 2004
- Workshop on Modern statistical visualization and related topics (3):Dimension free data visualization and information mining, November 19-20, 2004
- International Conference: Recent Development of Statistical Modeling in Marketing -Latent Variable and Latent Structure Approach-, December 1-2, 2004
- Workshop on Modern statistical visualization and related topics (4): Visualization, Statistical Software and Interactive Graphics, December 9-10, 2004
The Institute actively encourages researchers to come to talk or give lectures and also to stay for collaboration with the staff. As shown in the list below, the Institute has received 81 visitors from 23 different countries. Of these researchers, 40 entered into a visiting research fellowship including a visiting professorship. Another list follows showing all the colloquia that were given by foreign visitors.